Baking in the past was always a bit hit or miss for me. I have made some shocking looking cakes, cakes that are embedded in our family history and have generated hours and hours of laughter (it’s a very good thing I’m not overly sensitive!). Soooo, when on my very first Mother’s Day as a first time Mummy, I received my first Mary Berry baking book, there was no going back. I stepped up to Mary Berry’s plate and I haven’t looked back. If you are looking for a recipe that will guarantee a rise, look no further. This is 100% fail safe and won’t let you down when you need a good sponge. I’ve added cream and chocolate but you don’t need to.
Ingredients for sponges:
8oz Self raising flour
8oz Softened butter
8oz caster sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp baking powder
2 8inch cake tins
Ingredients for filling:
Jam of choice
Extra thick whipping cream
Ingredients for topping:
2 large bars of milk chocolate
Smarties for decorating
Preheat the oven to 160•c (fan) and grease/line your baking tins.
Mix all of the cake ingredients together, whipping into a smooth mixture.
Divide the cake mixture evenly into the cake tins.
Bake for about 25 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from oven and after a couple of minutes, turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Whilst the sponges are cooling, beat the cream into a thick mixture.
Now break up the chocolate into chunks and place into a heatproof bowl. Pour some water into a saucepan and place the bowl of chocolate on top. Heat until the chocolate melts.
when the sponges are completely cool, spread a generous layer of jam over one of the sponges.
- Spread your whipped cream on top of the jam.
- Place the other sponge evenly on top.
- Now pour the melted chocolate on top – Start at the centre of the cake and swirl it neatly around. Use a palette knife to spread it evenly. Pop on your decorations before the chocolate hardens.
- Place into the fridge. Once the chocolate has hardened, place into an airtight container and pop back into the fridge (for up to 3 days). When you need it, remove from fridge and let it rest up to room temperature. Enjoy – my little 5 year old loved it!