We’re with you – hands up. Saturday night curry (and Prosecco) followed by Sunday picnic (and cake) and Monday (cookies). Whatever the slip, it leaves us all feeling like we need to remake that decision on a Monday (or Tuesday!) – do we want to get back on the healthy eating wagon? YES!
Now let’s get something straight – we LOVE food, we LOVE a glass or two and we want to eat the cake sometimes. Here’s the thing though, we need to get over ourselves (all of us) and move on. Having a bar of chocolate on a Friday needn’t mean spending the whole weekend eating badly. In fact, we need to get over this crazy idea that weekends don’t count. WEEKENDS DO COUNT!!
We’re all about balance at Mums in Real Life, so have come up with a few ideas to help limit the damage we so often do at the weekend:
- Plan your food for the weekend. By knowing you’re going to eat pizza on Friday night, then you can save your calories during the day.
- Make healthy choices. Want a curry? Go for it, but make your own (see our recipes for ideas). That way you can ensure they’re not laden with fat, sugar and salt and tuck in to a guilt-free curry.
- Alcohol calories count too! Perhaps save your ‘wine’ calories for the weekend and stick to soft drinks and fruit tea during the week (your liver will thank you for it, too). If you know you’ll be drinking at the weekend, adjust your calories to allow for the extra from your wine. A good swap is to try clear spirits too with a low calorie mixer – we love a gin and Fever Tree tonic!
- Feel like a bacon sandwich for Sunday brunch? Go for it – grill your bacon, remove the fat if you want to, and opt for malted or wholegrain bread. You can also buy ‘zero sugar/salt’ ketchup if you like your bacon butty with tomato sauce. Remember these calories during the day – it will mean your other meals should be lighter on the carbs and fat.
- Got a hangover? Avoid greasy hangover foods and make yourself a pick me up smoothie, full of antioxidants and vitamins. Your stomach (and skin will thank you for it later).
- Remember to reset the next day – draw a line, and get back on the wagon! Don’t let a bad day sabotage your eating for the entire week.
Just tried a new smoothie recipe which was absolutely the pick-me-up I needed, so will share it with you later today along with Tuesday’s exercise card. Don’t forget it’s bootcamp day today!
Happy Tuesday lovely people. x